July 18, 2023
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Pete Ricketts (R-NE) introduced the SNAP Next Step Act. The bill was modeled after a successful State of Nebraska program initiated when Ricketts was Governor. It would provide recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) access to resources to move them forward in their careers, better their financial situations, and eventually reduce dependence on government assistance. The SNAP Next Step Act, announced at roundtables in Grand Island and Omaha yesterday, is the first piece of legislation in Ricketts’ “Proven Nebraska Solutions Ready for America” package.
“SNAP Next Step worked in Nebraska and will help workers across America take the next step toward improving their financial situations,” said Senator Ricketts. “During my time as governor, this program helped workers find better employment, increase monthly income, and reduce or eliminate need for government assistance. I am eager to work with my colleagues to make this proven Nebraska solution a reality for workers across the country.”
The SNAP Next Step Act assists SNAP beneficiaries in pursuing better job and career opportunities through services like job search coaching, interview preparation, and resume writing. The legislation adds no new costs to taxpayers. It would allow already available SNAP Administrative funds to be utilized in enrolling SNAP recipients in Department of Labor Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act Programs. The bill also urges states to develop benefits calculators that show participants the real-world impacts of increased wages on eligibility for all government assistance programs.
Bill text can be found here.
Senator Ricketts is bringing proven Nebraska solutions to Washington. The SNAP Next Step Act is the first piece of legislation in Ricketts’ “Proven Nebraska Solutions Ready for America” agenda.
In 2016, then-Governor Ricketts’ administration implemented SNAP Next Step. Since then, SNAP Next Step has helped hundreds of Nebraska families find new employment and more predictable hours, allowing them to spend more time together as a family. They’ve also increased their monthly income by more than $2,100. About 60% of these families no longer rely on state food assistance and the other 40% have reduced their need for SNAP benefits.
To join Senator Ricketts’ press list, please click here.